- 4 bunches (or 5 oz. packaged) fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups fresh garden or farmers' market strawberries
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup candied walnuts*
- 1 bottle of Sydney's Strawberry Vinaigrette
Clean spinach and strawberries of all debris; dry on dish towels. Divide spinach among four salad plates or place in large salad bowl. Quarter or slice strawberries and put over spinach, along with red onion and candied walnuts. Serve with Sydney's Strawberry Vinaigrette.
- 1 pkg. (12 to 16 ounces) walnut halves
- 2 cups white sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups water
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. Place walnuts in medium saucepan and cover with the sugar and water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain off sugar water. Let cool slightly and toss with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Layer walnuts on baking sheet and bake in oven for 10-12 minutes until crisp. Watch carefully so they don't burn. Remove from oven and let walnuts cool. Store in airtight container.
(Recipe adapted from "The Big Sky Bounty Cookbook: Local Ingredients and Rustic Recipes" from owner, Chef Barrie Boulds)